How To Disable Computer Microphone: What You Need To Know
If you want to protect your privacy better when using your computer, you might want to consider disabling your computer microphone and webcam. You can never fully trust what third-party apps and malware can do while you’re sitting in front of your desktop screen. In this article, you can learn how to disable computer microphone by following the easy steps written down below for you.
How Unused Computer Microphone can Harm You?
Before you dive into the process of how to disable a computer microphone, have an idea first on why unused and exposed mic can potentially cause you trouble.
Your computer mic can be an accessory for hackers to accomplish their goals. This can pose a huge security threat and can let the hands and ears of evil-doers invade the comfort of your privacy. For example, they can eavesdrop on you while doing you’re important tasks that are meant to be private. You also need to be warned about employers illegally monitoring your every move and some of them can take advantage of your exposed computer microphone.
To know how to avoid this type of privacy issues, read down below and learn how to disable computer microphone when it’s not in use.
How to Disable Computer Microphone
Below are steps on how to disable computer microphone in Windows and Apple computers:
- Navigate to the start button on your desktop screen.
- Click on the search bar and search for Device Manager.
- On your Device Manager, go to the audio and input option. Right-click on your internal or built-in desktop mic and select disable.
- Another method is to go to your system’s control panel.
- Click on the sound and properties option.
- Under the sound settings, you can see a word that says Recording. Click on it and select your built-in internal microphone.
- Right-click on it and select Disable.
- Test your desktop microphone by speaking on it. If the sound meter located beside its name is not moving, then your computer microphone is completely disabled and is not picking up sound anymore.
- Go to the system preferences of your mac device by clicking on the apple logo.
- Go to the Sound option and click on Input.
- To completely mute your microphone, slide the volume all the way down to zero.
- To test if your mic has been completely muted, try to record your voice on the built-in recording app.
Mute options on both your computer microphone and webcam are invented and developed to help give you the security you need as a user. When your mic and webcam are not in use, consider turning them off as a habit to prevent evil hands and ears from accessing your privacy.
Now that you have a complete and easy guide on how to disable computer microphone, you’re now a few clicks away from having a better privacy guard. Always be mindful that you don’t get control of other people’s minds. This is why you need to take control of protecting yourself especially when you’re exposed to the dangers of the virtual world.